Storytime Programs: Children up through Kindergarten
You’ll find storytimes for kids of all ages in Youth Services! Most of these programs run throughout the school year, with fall, winter, and spring sessions, and are open to the general public. Please note that some programs require registration. Please check our newsletter for information about any Special Storytimes.
FOR AGES UP TO 3 YEARS OLD:
· Romp and Read A 45-minute drop-in session for children up to 36 months with an adult. We’ll move to music, play with toys, engage in group games, share stories, and make new friends. Just drop-in and stay to play! No registration necessary.
· Toddlertime A 45-minute program for children up to 36 months with an adult. We offer educational toys during free play; then books, songs, puppets, and fingerplays during a short storytime. Each caregiver should plan to make this a special time with his/her child and make other arrangements for older siblings. We offer a program for ages 3 & up, called “On My Own,” at the same time as Toddlertime. Register your child for one of these choices, to repeat for the entire session. Registration required.
FOR AGES 3 YEARS & OLDER:
· On My Own A 30-minute program for children ages 3 years & older who are ready to attend “On My Own.” Stories, songs, flannelboards and fingerplays will be featured. Children who have siblings in the Toddlertime program will be brought in to join his/her family there. Register your child for one of these choices, to repeat for the entire session. Registration required.
FOR FAMILIES WITH CHILDREN OF ALL AGES:
· Family Drop-In A 45-minute program for children of all ages with an adult. We’ll share stories, songs, flannelboards, fingerplays, and crafts. Choose a time slot that works best for your family, and join us once a week when you can! No registration required.
· Saturday Storytimes A 30-minute program for children of all ages with an adult. Enjoy stories, songs, flannelboards, fingerplays presented by retired teachers. Usually held once a month. Check our newsletter and website for current offerings. No registration required.
Book Groups: Kindergarten-8th Grade
KINDERGARTEN AND 1ST GRADES:
Supereaders Book Club Join us for a fun evening all about the special book of that month. For kids in kindergarten and first grade, with a parent. When you register, you’ll get a picture book to take home and read together. Then we’ll all meet to talk briefly about the book, and enjoy games, crafts and/or a snack! Registration required.
Book Busters Book Club A special time for parents and children to enjoy together. With a new theme every month, read the book at home, then the return to join a lively discussion and play a game, create a craft, or enjoy a snack…or all three! You will receive a copy of the book when you register. For kids in 2nd grade with a parent. Registration required.
Page Turners Book Club It’s more than a book club, it’s a book party! Each month we will have a new book to read at home, then the kids will return to discuss it together and enjoy a game, craft, and/or snack! When you register, you will receive a copy of the book to read at home. For kids in 3rd grade with or without a parent. Registration required.
FOURTH AND FIFTH GRADES:
Radical Readers Club Be a part of creating your own book club! We will choose the first book and you will select the rest. Then we’ll meet once a month to discuss the book, eat snacks, play games, help others, and have a blast! For kids in 4th and 5th grades without a parent. Registration required.
SIXTH THROUGH EIGHTH GRADES:
The Nameless 6th – 8th Grade Book Club Come to the Teen Room to pick up your copy of the book enjoy it at home and return for a lively discussion and book based activity! Registration required. (When you enter ninth grade, don’t forget to check out the teen book clubs listed in the Teen Times newsletter.)
FIFTH THROUGH EIGHTH GRADES:
Mother-Daughter Book Talk Moms and daughters, spend an afternoon together sharing your love of books! Once a month we’ll meet to talk about a book we’ve all enjoyed. Girls in grades 5-8 are invited, and if Mom is not available, a grandmother or special aunt would be welcome. Homemade refreshments will be served. The first book will be chosen for you; after that, we will decide as a group which books to read. The book group runs from September through April. Registration required.
Clubs: 1st Grade through Adult
FIRST THROUGH FOURTH GRADE:
Full STEAM Ahead A 45-minute after-school program for children in grades 1-4. Join us for stories, crafts, games, and snacks. Bring a friend, or meet a new one! Registration required.
SECOND GRADE AND UP:
Chess Club Enjoy a challenging game of chess while you strengthen your skills and strategies! Bring a friend or meet new ones who share your interest in the classic art of chess. Check our newsletter and website for current offerings.
FIRST GRADE AND UP:
· Lego and WeDo Club Are you a Lego-maniac? Bring a friend and your imaginations! We have lots of Lego for you to use. Each week, we’ll display your buildings in Youth Services for all to enjoy. With WeDo, you and your partner will learn basic coding skills, build a simple motorized project, and make your LEGO models come to life. There are a limited number of kits, so we ask that you reserve a spot as you come into the program. For kids in grades 1 and up. No registration required.
· Read to Ruby & Glinda
Our four-footed friends are back! Ruby and Glinda are sweet and gentle therapy dogs who will patiently listen to children read aloud. It’s a great way for new readers to practice their skills! Children in first grade & older are invited to schedule a ten-minute slot to read between 4:00-5:00 on Monday afternoons. Registration required.
TWELVE YEARS AND OLDER, AND ADULTS:
Scrapbooking Club Have photos of your fall family fun? Print your pictures, gather your supplies, and haul it all over to the library for some creative camaraderie! For kids 12 years & older and adults. Please register in Youth Services, online, or by phone at 810-0315.